All students ages 3 and up who are interested in piano and are willing to make the efforts are all welcomed. A strong sense of commitment and respect is expected for those that are accepted into the studio.
The lesson length for each student is determined by the teacher. One lesson per student each week is required. If more frequent lessons are needed, the student will be notified and extra fees will be added in the following month. A notebook is to be used for any comments or instructions that the teacher might have. Usual lesson lengths are an hour, forty-five minutes, or half an hour long. Music theory is also included when the student is ready to read in school.
Tuition for each semester is due prior to the start of each semester. If you enroll in the middle of a semester, tuition will be prorated. We accept checks and Chase Quickpay. ALL PERFORMANCE FEES AND TUITION WILL BE NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Students are expected to arrive to lessons, recitals, or competitions on time. Any time missed due to lateness to lessons will not be made up. This is important because one's lateness can interfere with other students' lesson times.
- Students are expected to practice at home everyday (15min-an hour or more, depending on the advancement of the student. Please discuss with teacher if needed). Some improvement needs to be shown at each lesson (if a situation should occur where practice is prevented, please talk to the teacher). Lack of improvement will result in monitored practicing from parents or possible termination of lessons.
- A studio recital is given at the end of each school year which every student is required to attend.
- Whether a student will enter competitions is decided upon both the student and the teacher. However, to be eligible for entering, the student must show his/her determination to enter, performance at lessons, and good sportsmanship.
- Piano exams are strongly encouraged for students to participate because it gives a sense of achievement and professionalism.
- Parental involvement for students under the age of 8 is strongly recommended. Younger students usually improve quickly and have a better understanding of materials learned if parents are actively involved. However, for older students, if no progress is made, parents will be asked to monitor practicing. It is also very important for parents to participate in annual recitals, studio workshops, and competitions along with the students.
- Students are expected to come to each lesson with his/her books. Progress should be shown at lessons from practicing at home. Consistent lack of commitments to the lessons can result in either parental involvement in monitoring practices, or termination to lessons.
Make-up Lesson Policy
At the Natalia Huang Piano Studio, we are all professional music teachers with a full teaching schedule. We do not schedule individual makeup lessons and rescheduling will not take place with advance notice. Please understand we do this to be fair to all of our students as well as to protect our personal time. We will, however, allow three GROUP makeup lessons per student from September to July. The makeup lessons will be in small group performance classes and dates will be TBD. Makeup lessons are not guaranteed.
Should the public schools systems (NYCDOE for New York City studio, and Greenwich Public Schools for Greenwich studio) cancel classes, all studio lessons will be moved to internet sessions (Skype or Facetime).
Termination of Lesson
Please note that tuition is NON-REFUNDABLE except in the case of serious illness. A doctor's note will be requested to determine refund.
In the event that your teacher is unable to teach due to illnesses or other emergencies, a substitute teacher will be assigned. If we are unable to provide a sub, your lesson will be made up individually with either your teacher or another studio teacher.
Holidays and Breaks
All students are expected to take Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. The studio will be closed on the following holidays/dates and tuition is accounted for these breaks:
- Last week of December and New Years Day
- Fourth of July
- The month of August (except in our LA location)
- Additional holidays may be announced throughout the year
Teaching Philosophy and Goals
Piano lessons are most effective when effort (practices at home) and commitment (consistent attendance at lessons) takes place. It is very important to us that our students learn as much as possible from the studio.. This is to be accomplished with the help of parents and students. We wish to provide a musical experience that benefits the students through lessons, various recitals, exams, as well as competitions.